Sunday, April 18, 2021

ARCLIGHT CINEMAS: AN APPRECIATION


It's been days since the announcement that Pacific Theaters which include Arclight Cinemas will not be reopening, an another victim of the deadly pandemic due to the over year-long closure. I'm still reeling from the shock that these glorious cinemas are no longer with us.

Arclight Hollywood, with the historic Cinerama Dome, was a very important part of my cinematic life as this was the theater I would attend regularly, going on average at least two times a week (sometimes more, sometimes less, largely depending upon my available time and what was out in theaters). And over the years, I had so many wonderful and memorable experiences at this complex and after leaving the theater, no matter if I loved or strongly disliked a film I had just watched, I was always in a great mood.

When I first heard about Arclight Cinemas back in 2002, I didn't know what to make of it. No overpriced stale popcorn or sticky floors with food trash scattered all over the seats that you had to remove yourself. This was a clean space, upscale and grand, that took the work of filmmakers seriously and presented their movies in the best possible conditions. I felt I had found my sanctuary. Arclight Cinemas was undeniably a true cinema lover's paradise.

I loved the staff, identified by the distinctive blue shirts they all wore, who were friendly, informative and would stand at the the front of the audience to introduce the film before each screening. There were roomy, comfortable seats and you could reserve them in advance, never having to worry about finding a place to sit. And there was their famous caramel popcorn, so delicious but I had to be careful and have it only occasionally. But what I really loved the most was that you could watch art house features and Hollywood blockbusters in the same location. The concept seemed like such a simple idea yet it was revolutionary, with many other cinema chains following what Arclight brought to the movie-going experience. And I was very proud to have been a founding member of the Arclight Membership program.

I'm really going to miss this theater but still feeling fairly confident that Arclight Cinemas will raise from the ashes at some point, hopefully in the same form. There are far too many great lovers of film from across the globe that loved this destination and that somebody will come along to rescue this important Los Angeles landmark.


No comments:

Post a Comment