Tuesday, October 15, 2019

DIAHANN CARROLL (1935 - 2019)


I know this is a little late but I couldn't let the moment go by without mentioning the passing of Diahann Carroll, the glamorous and talented entertainer that was one of the few African-American actors to receive an Academy-Award nomination, who died on October 4th after a lengthy battle with breast cancer. This beautiful performer also had the groundbreaking lead role in the 1960's television series, "Julia" where Carroll played a nurse and not the expected job for African-American women at the time as a domestic.

She was born Carol Diahann Johnson in the Bronx and got her first big break as a singer after wining the top prize on a television talent show in 1954. This lead to a supporting role in the film, "Carmen Jones" and a co-starring part in the Broadway musical, "House Of Flowers". Carroll would continue to appear on stage and screen before winning a 1962 Tony Award for Best Actress in a Musical, becoming the first African-American female to win the prize.

After her trailblazing sitcom ended in 1971 (where she received a Golden-Globe Award and an Emmy nomination for her role), Carroll would get a major part in a feature film where she played against type in the 1974 romantic comedy-drama, "Claudine". She played a single mother with six children who is struggling to support her family on welfare assistance. When Claudine falls for a garbage collector (James Earl Jones), this threatens her benefits and complicates her relationship with her kids who are against this relationship. The film would earn Carroll an Oscar nomination for Best Actress.

And in the 1980's during the era of the nighttime soaps, Carroll wanted to become TV's first "Black bitch". She got her wish by being cast in one of the most popular of the day, "Dynasty" where she played Dominique Deveraux, a wealthy nightclub performer who was also millionaire, Blake Carrington's half-sister.

I was a very young child when "Julia" came out on television yet I remember it to this very day. The program had such an impact on me (not only since there were not many African-Americans on television back then) because it really showed me that I could become anything I wanted to be when I grew up. I realize this was only a sitcom but what I saw on television and the movies at the time usually didn't include people who looked like me. This is why I know how important it is to see yourself represented in entertainment. And I want to thank Diahann Carroll, in a small yet meaningful way, for helping me realize that anything is possible.





No comments:

Post a Comment