Saturday, April 27, 2019

HAPPY 10TH ANNIVERSARY TO I LUV MOVIES


It was ten years ago today that I started writing this blog, I Luv Movies and I can't believe how quickly time has seemed to pass by. I had always been passionate about going to the movies ever since my mother would take me and my sisters to the cinema regularly since we were young children. It was just always an exciting and magical experience to share with my family that would transport me to other worlds and places.

The first movie I reviewed here was "Obsessed". If you might recall, it was an erotic thriller about a seemingly happily married, business executive (Idris Elba) and his office temp (Ali Larter) who becomes obsessed with trying to seduce him. But his wife (played by Beyoncé in a rare non-singing role) is not having it. It was your typical low-budget, campy drama that was slightly elevated by these charismatic performers. I thought it was harmless fun. Since then, I have covered about two-hundred and fifty reviews of all types of movies. Looking back over these reviews, I think I have evolved as a writer over time and hope I will continue to better communicate my thoughts about some of the movies I see. I was never interested in being provocative or bitchy with my reviews but to just give my honest, unfiltered opinion.

When I first started, Netflix was simply a popular and convenient way to rent DVDs with streaming movies just beginning to be introduced. But I have watched with amazement and apprehension as this company has grown to become a worldwide industry giant who has completely overhauled how entertainment is being viewed and released. While it may not be accurate to say that the movie theaters are heading towards the way of the dinosaurs but I am concerned that there will be a time in the near future that the only way to get people to leave their homes at all to go to their local cinema is to see big-budget event movies.

I strongly feel that it's important that all genres of film should continue to be a part of the shared viewing experience and be shown on the big screen. But I also feel that there is room for the convenience of streaming services to provide original content and offer an inviting place for offbeat and challenging films that may struggle to find an audience in traditional theaters. It just seems that neither side is willing to give in to find a happy compromise which they could all benefit from in the battle for viewers.

Who knows what exactly the future holds for theatrical cinema and the movie-going experience but I can say that for over the last ten years I have enjoyed sharing my thoughts and expressing how much I really love the movies.

The second post I did was a listing of ten things about myself as an introduction. Here is a reprint of that list from April 27, 2009:

1. I was born in Cincinnati, Ohio and I was raised in Westland, Michigan.

2. I moved to California in 1988 because I wanted to get far away from Westland, Michigan.

3. I am an art school drop-out.

4. The first movie I remember seeing is "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" at a drive-in. I think I was about five years old. I remember the wicked stepmother scaring the hell out of me. I saw the film again recently and she still scares me.

5. I have my mother to thank for my love of movies.

6. I actually don't mind reading subtitles.

7. I have only walked out of a movie twice. I don't remember which movies but I think one of them had Sharon Stone in it. One movie I walked out of only because the person I went with wanted to go. I almost walked out of "Reservoir Dogs" during the ear cutting scene. I was out of my seat and in the aisle but I stayed to the end.

8. I don't mind going to a movie by myself. Sometimes I prefer it.

9. My least favorite film genre is horror. What I really mean is slasher flicks.

10. I've only seen the first "Harry Potter" movie. I didn't mind the movie but I just couldn't bring myself to see the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment