Saturday, June 9, 2018

EVERY ORIGINAL NETFLIX MOVIE RANKED


After just recently reviewing my first Netflix movie, I guess this a good time to express my feelings about the steaming giant. First, let me say that you probably won't be seeing many reviews of Netflix movies here. One reason (and it's really the only reason) is that I tend to watch movies in a movie theater. I will proudly admit I'm old school and if I do watch a film on a streaming service or even cable, it's usually only because I wasn't able to catch it in a theater.

Ever since Netflix began acquiring original feature films back in 2007, they have evolved in to a major player in Hollywood and have aggressively competed with the major studios for talent and production. What I admire the most about this company is that they are modeling themselves much like the studios back in the 1970's when they were willing to take chances on innovative directors with intriguing ideas. Money doesn't seem to be a major obstacle (at this point anyway) as long as they have faith in the filmmaker involved in the project.

But my major concern with Netflix is how they are actively trying to dismantle the theatrical experience. With almost none of their original movies ever seeing the inside of a theater, the very few that do tend to be only of exceptional quality that Netflix feels can possibly earn award consideration. And even these films only receive a token one-week release in a theater in Los Angeles and New York for qualification purposes. Amazon, the other major streaming player for original features, manages to follow the traditional theatrical model by releasing many of their films in theaters for a regular run. They seem to use this not only for potential award nominations but also publicity for when the film does appear on their platform (and also make some extra money in the process).

So the question remains; is a film that is only streamed on Netflix and watched in the comfort of home the same as a movie seen in a theater which you must leave your home and sit with a bunch of noisy, popcorn-eating strangers? No. It is most certainly not.

And because of this, should they be viewed as equally the same?  I agree strongly with Steven Spielberg that streaming films should be eligible for an Emmy award and not an Oscar. The bottom line is there is room for everyone at the table so long as they are willing to play by the same rules.

Vulture has decide to offer a run-down of Netflix's ever-expanding, original feature films. There are currently one hundred and twenty-two movies ranked and it's not much of a surprise that they vary wildly in terms of cinematic quality. I must admit I have seen very few but those I have, are pretty high on the chart.

Click below to read:

Every Netflix Original Movie Ranked

No comments:

Post a Comment