Wednesday, August 26, 2009

NINE

I am a big fan of movie musicals and I'm not ashamed to say it. "Grease" is one of my all time favorites. I'm not ashamed to say that either.

The film of the Broadway musical, "Nine" will be coming to theaters on November 25, 2009.
It is a musical adaption of Fellini's "8 1/2" and has an impressive all star cast including Nicole Kidman, Judi Dench, Penelope Cruz, Marion Cotillard, Sophia Loren and Daniel Day-Lewis. Although I have never seen the play or I'm embarrassed to say, the movie in which it is based (It's terrible I know, but I promise I will get around to it), I am very curious about this and I can't wait to see it.

Last year, I felt the same way about "Mamma Mia" and was very, very disappointed. Poor film making, lousy choreography and bad singing ruining perfectly good ABBA songs spoiled it for me. I hope these actors can carry a tune and I will not have to endure excruciatingly painful non-singing. Did the filmmakers of "Mamma Mia" after hearing Pierce Bronson sing really say to themselves "Oh, wow! That sounds really good"?

After seeing the trailer, I am optimistic but I said that after seeing the trailer for "Mamma Mia" too. . .